Maintaining your board
- Wipe off with a wet cloth and mild dishwashing liquid. Do not use any other detergents.
- Dry immediately.
- Do not allow to stand wet.
- If you see colouration in the wood surface from what you were cutting (eg strawberries), do not try to scrub this out. Oil the board once dry (see below) and the colour will move to surface and can be wiped off.
Regular oiling protects your board against absorbing food liquids. It also stabilizes the moisture content of the wood in humid or dry climates.
Once a month:
Apply mineral oil to your board once a month to protect your board from juices being absorbed. It also stabilizes the moisture content of the wood in humid or dry climates.
- Clean your board normally and allow to dry completely.
- Apply a liberal amount of WoodStyle Mineral Oil to the board on both sides with a clean, dry cloth.
- Allow to soak in for two hours. If the wood appears dry during the first hour, apply a little more oil to the dry patch.
- Wipe off any excess oil with a clean, dry cloth. (Paper towel is also suitable).
For added lusture to the finish of your board, apply WoodStyle Hot Wax
- Wear a protective glove as the wax is hot.
- Remove lid and place container in shallow, very hot water. The Hot Wax will melt.
- Once wax is liquid, apply quickly and liberally with a cloth to your board.
- Allow to stand for two hours.
- Buff with a clean, dry cloth.
A well oiled board may sweat out a bit of the oil in hot conditions. This is normal and shows that the board is well maintained. Well done! Wipe off with a paper towel.